Spin Spin Spin

I'm legging up for my metric century ride and this weekend was supposed to be the peak. I had 65 miles planned, but I had stayed up late the night before baking bread and making cheese and got a late start. The weather looked dubious so I did it all on the stationary bike*. It wasn't as bad as I thought and I'm sure many cyclists do this without batting at eyelash. This was just as well because I managed to get some reading done on this great 700 page book I'm reading called Around Africa on my Bicycle. At the moment, the author Riaan is kayaking solo around Madagascar! Ok.

The stationary bikes at the gym overlook the pool, so I observed the swimmers, noting their form and counting their strokes per length. I was relieved to see that I am not the only one who takes 27 SPL to get from one end to the other, in fact it is very common. There was one lady though who did it with a fast turnover and looked like she could win the triathlon. She did 50m in 45 seconds. Olympic record is half that. There was another fast guy who had 19 SPL and hardly kicked at all but he was tall like Michael Phelps. My favorite was the couple who shared a lane together and did 19 SPL slowly and gracefully in unison.


*Wished I had remembered to wear the padded shorts now. ;-(

Comments

Jo Lynn said…
That must have taken a little while to do 65 miles, huh? At least you had something good to look at while you were peddaling away, the book and the swimmers. ;)
lilhlfpint said…
That reminds me of when I was back in college and I would go to the gym and the treadmills would overlook the gym where the basketball players would practice. Looking at hot basketball players would motivate me to work out just a little bit longer. Heh.

Okay, not quite the same, but you get what I'm saying.
alisha said…
Hey thanks so much for this. Keep em posts coming, find them so interesting. Anyways, I am a swimming instructor for those of you looking for some swimming lessons

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap