Week 5 - In the Zone

This was a good week - I'm feeling in the zone. Training plan is based on modified green team intermediate, with some days traded out for swim days, and doing 800 meter intervals for speed.

Running - trying to find efficient pain-less ways of getting up and down the hills. I found that running up on the ball of the feet helps alot. Good recovery, especially when I do an hour of yoga after the run. I use DVDs. I have done many hours of classes and various places around the city and use the DVDs because I can just press play. Steven on Tuesday and Nicki on Wednesday. Nicki Doane can show you some great Ashtanga done right. My arms were sore and my hamstrings got totally stretched! Also worked the external obliques like never before...must be those reverse triangle poses! Ice baths? Never do them.

Swimming - Spent a little extra time swimming (instead of biking this week) mostly working on my strokes. Dude, freestyle swimming has some highly technical moves it takes years to master it! I was doing the pull, then not hesitating after the pull but continue to lengthen and keep the movement going. Now I'm adding the front quadrant swimming. This just means having my stroke extended as long as possible until my recovering arm is back up over my head to switch arms. Before I was switching too soon, then hesitating on the breath, then losing the streamlined position, which slows me down like a parachute. It certainly paid off today in the bay. It was a strong flood at the opening, like a river current going across, except this time I didn't get flushed back to the boats. I stuck with my swim partner and with Coach Edna's guidance we went well into the center of the cove before turning. I didn't try to race my pace in the beginning and started nice and slow to find a good rhythm of breathing. Then when it was time to turn, we jetted across and finally made it to the jacuzzi, it was a BLAST! We swam a little inside the wall where the water is calm, then headed back across the flood with the same determination. It was very choppy and had to turn over quite a bit to get air. The sun was shining right in my eyes and sighting was short, only like a second. Also, it felt at times like I was going nowhere, just on a treadmill, but that is when I streamlined it more to let the water go around me, and picked up the pace and kicked more. All this took place in the span of 30 minutes, but it seemed like much longer. Now I know what I would do in the instance that I get caught up in the current again (Plan B): I would pretend like I'm doing a buoy turn and swing out of the current at a diagonal back to shore. I really like the WWS group swim out here it totally simulates the racing experience. If I keep it up maybe I can do an oly tri next spring.

Nutrition: granola bars, blueberries, protein shakes, grilled veggie sandwiches & tacos (half-wheat, half-corn tortillas mmm!), buckwheat noodle stirfry, potatoes, bananas, kiwis, kefir & kern's...get that low-carb crap away from me! I'm burning at least 4,000 cals a week and have no need for it! It's like garlic to a vampire!

Comments

Jo Lynn said…
I totally agree about freestyle being so damn technical. I've been reading up on it now too. I was even trying that drill you had a link to the other day (pinkie to thigh?). I'm learning though and it appears you are too. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training