Wk #4 - Epic Swim!

S:5 B:50 R:24.5
2010 training is off to a great start. After 3 weeks of steady efforts, taking it down a notch on the fourth week. Kept up with the running but cut back on the bike to get ready for an epic swim on Saturday with Water World Swim. After seeing the gigantic wolf moon setting before dawn, we jumped off The Dauntless by the Golden Gate Bridge and swam to the Aquatic Park on the flood tide. It was very exciting! I was nervous in the beginning after jumping off the boat - Irene and I decided only last week to do this - but the water felt great and it was so amazing to be out in the middle of the bay. Though the surface of the water looked smooth and glassy, there was actually a good current moving into the bay. I learned a lot about navigation on this one. We set our sights on Alcatraz for the first 10 minutes, then angled toward land for the dome of the Palace of Fine Arts. It was a bit foggy and the sun had come out, so headed toward the glare of the sun for a bit. The water felt warmer than usual, and every ten seconds or so came the swells that pushed you a little further and up and down like a boat. It was a unique experience.

Though there were nine of us, we kind of spread out into little groups. I found a group of 3, and just tried to follow them. By the time I could see the dome, it was time to angle toward Fort Mason. Here is where we had to make a more sharp angle toward shore. Our group of four turned into two. I just kept following the person in front but I wish I had angled or sprinted just a tiny bit more because before I knew it I was getting close to the Aquatic Park and wanted to be closer to the pier so I could make it to the opening in time. I just barely made it, and had to hussle and swim against the current a little and push through. I was so happy to get inside the cove! The Dauntless was nearby with another support boat if we ever wanted to get back on the boat, but I was having a great time swimming. I made it to shore in an hour and 4 minutes and still felt like I could keep on swimming. I still can't believe I did it - it felt like a dream! I'm psyched to do more epic bay swims.

Golden Gate Bridge to Aquatic Park Swim



Irene brought her camera and took some photos. She did great!

Next week is the KP Half-Marathon and am going to make sure to save some energy for the race. I noticed on Ryan's taper week that he has an intense interval run 2 days before the race. LOL! no way I'm doing that, homie!

Comments

Jo Lynn said…
Wow, you are brave. I got scared just reading about it. You do sound very proud. Good for you. That's a long time to be in that big open body of water. You just may be my new hero. I think I'll call you Water Warrior from now on. ;)
RenĂ© said…
It's like being out on the open trail Jo Lynn you'd love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training