Week #5 - KP SF Half Marathon

S:0 B:49.5 R:24.6

Yay sub 2 half! on Twitpic

Wow - what a change in the weather! It actually feels like spring. What happened? It was a perfect day to run the KP SF Half Marathon. Third time doing this race and the sun was out, beautiful! Just a little windy on the Great Highway coming back hard to keep pace. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits - good positive energy. Alot of Big Sur Int. Marathon shirts on the course. Managed to get a PR 6:39 seconds better than last year and actually feel more comfortable doing it. I love this race! The mild hills on this course used to bug me, but after doing hill work, Mt. Tam and Headlands trail runs last year was not even a blip on the radar. For some reason, my Garmin went to multisport mode so I didn't get all my split times. I kept looking at my watch to make sure I was between 7 - 8mph. I brought my fuel belt and carb flask, so only stopped once at mile 8 to refill. Integrating longer strides is coming along. I have been running without music on the pace runs so I can focus on the rhythm of pacing. While keeping the same pace, see what is like to do longer strides vs. faster turnover and mix it up. Rode bike to starting line and felt really good to get on the bike afterwards. Had to get in and out of there because I had dogs waiting for me to go to the park. The taper was restless, but managed to use energy to get a creative project going. Usually I carbo-load on pasta the night before the race, but not this time. I had a burrito for lunch and was so full I couldn't eat dinner, but was craving a vanilla milkshake. For breakfast 2 slices of toast and jam. It seemed to work out just fine. This is my last race in this age group. Onward with the marathon training...

Comments

Jo Lynn said…
I'm sorry, did I miss in your post somewhere you put your finishing time for today?
René said…
:-o 1:49 :-D
Jo Lynn said…
Great job girl! Whoot! ;)
René said…
Thanks! It took 1-2x weekly bouts of speed work to whittle that 30 seconds off my pace.
Middalia Wayman said…
Super job on the half!! 1:49 is awesome!
Jenica said…
congrats to you! that's fantastic!

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap