All the way up to 11 - Alcatraz!

March 15-21
S:3.8 B: 62.95 R:13
Alcatraz Crossing March 20, 2010
This was a good week, focused on doing the Alcatraz swim crossing on Saturday morning with Water World Swim. This was an exciting and challenging venture, not for the feint of heart. It was a bit windy, so had some choppiness especially close to the island. I felt like I was going up and down more than swimming forward, and hard to catch a good rhythm. But Coach Pedro says when mother nature dances you have to take her lead and be flexible. Good day for mental training and navigation. I can't imagine people that have never swam in open water before especially in choppy conditions try do this swim for the first time on triathlon day! All I can say is you could be in for a BIG SURPRISE. We got lots of good tips on the swim, and how to navigate to St. Francis Yacht club on the current. Though I knew the cue when to turn right, I don't know why I waited so long. It was the fear of current sending me past the beach and I wanted to get to calmer waters, but it would have been done a lot faster than an hour if I had just turned as soon as the cue landmark was right in front of me. Excellent preparation for the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon. This was part of a clinic for the triathletes:

Swim Tips for the 30th Annual 2010 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon



I didn't realize I was in the video lol! I had a turquoise top on and a camera slung around my shoulder. I'm not doing the Escape, I just like the Alcatraz swim and swimming in the bay with a great group of people. It's different every day and always changing. If you are doing Sharkfest, it's even more important to practice navigation beforehand because it's tricky to make it to the opening of Aquatic Park even in calm waters because of the breakwater at the wall.


Conditions:
wind: 9kts
air: 52°F
water:54°F
current: end of strong ebb
distance swims completed: 3 (1 Alcatraz - AP, 1 Alcatraz - StFYC, 1 GGB - AP)
3D map of the SF Bay floor

I was going to do my long run then felt a twinge of pain on my ankle, now I'm taped up with sports tape. Just did an hour of elliptical and spinning and taking it easy. Maybe it's time to put the speedwork away. Just when I was hoping to max out my mileage. Something always turns up. I'm not worried, though. I'm in it for the fun. I run to reduce stress, not to cause stress. Spring is here, which means lots of light in the evening for bike rides, swims and runs, dog parks, etc.

IMG00485
Sunrise Run

Be careful out there folks. Mother Nature is beautiful but also fierce. There are certain places that are safe to swim and places to stay away from, especially if you are alone. Know the conditions before you go.

Comments

Jo Lynn said…
We need to get a plan for you to BART to Union City so we can run at Garin after work, right??
René said…
That would be nice. I was just reading how sprained ankles take a month to heal, but I think it should get better in a few days...
Jo Lynn said…
OMG, I didn't get "sprained ankle" out of reading your blog. I'm a pro at those, remember? They suck! Can you still ride?
René said…
yes, riding is fine. as long as i don't twist my ankle coming out of the pedal. i need to be riding more anyway - i signed up for a century!
The Green Girl said…
Wow! Congratulations on a challenging swim!
triblog carol said…
I would love to do Alcatraz someday. Very cool that you got to train in those waters. Also very scary!

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training