San Francisco Marathon

July 19-25
S: 0 B:44 R:36.2

2 years ago: 4:44:17
This year: 4:20:23

I'm still not fast at these things but - I've moved up a wave!


The San Francisco Marathon
San Francisco Marathon


WARNING: technical running info ahead
The mild SF temps and fog made it perfect weather for running. This is a great event. There is quite a bit of music, camaraderie and cheering on this one. Thanks to all the volunteers! Doing all the pace workouts, strides and hill training this year really paid off for me. After a couple of years of just training for distance and heart rate, I decided it was time to pick up the pace. I used a 'less is more' approach with the F.I.R.S.T. training plan and used the McMillan Running Calculator to find my target paces for the three key workouts. Don't input a current marathon time, put in the next reasonable target time you want to run or 1 or 2 minutes more than your best 5k time. It is challenging, and after using it for 2 training cycles I am almost to my ideal marathon pace. This is also the first time I was able to use a pace band successfully. I was originally going for a 4:30 finish, but I brought the 4:20 pace band as plan B. Turns out the 9:30 pace was so comfortable for me that I just stuck with it and was a few minutes ahead of schedule all the way up to mile 20 or so. Instead of doing the speed intervals on a flat track, practiced them in Golden Gate Park to practice pushing over inclines and get an idea and muscle imprint of hill pacing. Fast turnover and low center of gravity running on the downhills saved my knees. By mile 23 I was clinging to 9:30 for dear life, but it worked.

I ran into Ron (Punk Rock Runner) a few miles from the finish, hanging tough. He had just completed an Ironman a month ago, so to run a race that even marathoners fear after that is nothing short of amazing. At the finish line, I met a masters runner who just qualified for Boston with a PR from his younger days. There are hundreds of inspirational stories like this from runners, each one a hero in their own right and to their families and friends.

SF Marathon 2010
Finish Line Video Bib #60792

I would definitely do this again. What's next? My legs feel like they want to run more now, so we're going to up the mileage ;-)

Marathon Training Programs for your Garmin

Comments

fuzzbuzz said…
you are awesome! GO GO GO!
Ron said…
awesome post and nice work. Thanks for sharing that technical info thats good stuff. Way to fight trough it.
RunnerDude said…
Awesome job Rene! I did SF in 2005. Great race! When I ran it, it was so foggy, I never even saw the bridge. I know I ran across and then back across, but I never even saw the thing. LOL!
The Green Girl said…
Congratulations on your successful training and a strong finish, girl. I am so proud of you.
RenĂ© said…
Thanks! See you all at the next one!

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap