San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island

Jul 5 - 11
S: 1.4 B: 46.5 R: 34.7

San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island
Olympic 3:19:28


If you ever want to hit the reset button and instantly forget about whatever was stressing you out for the past month, do a Triathlon. For me it's the cure for the Summertime Blues. Throw all your gear into a bag & do all the sports you like to do back-to-back in one morning as fast as you can. Start with a splash & end with a dash! Some notes and things I learned from my tri-neighbors:

  • If you're in the last swim wave, good time to spectate and enjoyed the expo, check out your neighbors cool bike, do a little warm-up run or stretch if you need to.

  • There are no waves at Clipper Cove, it's like swimming in a pool. You won't need a bucket of water for your feet because the water is almost 60 degrees and no sand coming out of the water directly onto carpeted exit to a concrete transition area

  • If you hang your wetsuit up on the rack or on your bike if there is room instead of throwing it in a plastic bag, it will have a chance to dry and be way lighter in your bag on the way home.

  • The bike laps were flat with some good turns and little hill, can get windy with gusts over 20mph. I didn't have aerobars so I spent alot of time riding down in the drops. I noticed no one is wearing bike gloves.

  • If you laminate your helmet number with scotch tape, it won't stick all over your bike helmet when you try to peel it off.

  • I noticed I wasted alot time by applying sunscreen before my run in the transition area when I could have applied it on the go seeing as how it was the roll-on speed-stick type.

  • The 108 Treasure Island bus drops you off right at the gate and has a rack for two bikes.

  • Volunteers rock, and kudos for the people that pulled all the swimmers out of the water at the swim exit!




San Francisco Triathlon at Treasure Island


With a variety of events and competitors of all ages amateur to elite and physically challenged, including a Biggest Losers category, the message here is that anyone can do a triathlon or run a race if you put your mind and training into it. The Olympic distance can go on for 3-4 hours depending on your fitness, and is much like getting through a marathon. Now to work on taking 25 minutes off my time!





As I'm getting halfway through the year without really taking a break in training (at least 9 events so far this year) slumps happen. For inspiration during slump times, I really enjoy reading the blogs. Thomas posted and entry about Inspiration that had me thinking about the little things that can get you through it, and for me it is definitely humor, especially in the form of signs or slogans on t-shirts. I like the "Chuck Norris never did an Ironman" sign that Punk Rock Runner saw on his first IM, he has a very entertaining blog btw. These signs had me laughing, these are funny, and and I love these.

my new hoodie!


5 ways to save time in your transitions

Comments

The Green Girl said…
Loved the tips. And that sweatshirt really does rock. ::hugs::
Jo Lynn said…
You learned a lot. I love that sweatshirt. ;)
RenĂ© said…
Another thing I learned: drink lots of water! Even with all the water I drank plus stopping at the aid stations, I still feel dehydrated and a bit exhausted. Takes a couple days to recover.
TCB said…
WOW!!!! AMAZING GIRL! That is the coolest sweatshirt! Love you sis!

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap