Week 1

Off to a good start: 7.25 hours of training this week, not including the 5 hours of bike commuting and 30 min. strength training. I got up at 4:30 or 5:30 in the morning to make it happen. Swimming, biking and running, with some time for family and creative stuff. The spinning class was challenging but endorphin inducing. The bay swim was cold but fun. I'm thankful that I'm able to do this today and dedicate my training to my dad.

I was really moved by this video that Elizabeth posted on her blog. She is running 50 marathons in 50 states for her father. Though our fathers are not here they are with us every step of the way.

When my father died of heart attack related to his T2 diabetes, he was reluctantly having to take a long list of medications. He carried it with him in his wallet with him just to remember everything. I can tell this made him miserable. There were medicine bottles and syringes all over his room, in his bag, and in the fridge. It's not a disease anyone should get knowing what we know about how to prevent it. It's the lifestyle changes that seem so hard at first, exercise and dietary changes, that can make a big difference between life and death. What if we make these changes before we need to? I am going to miss my dad this Thanksgiving.

I'm so thankful for my family and friends. Enjoy the holiday and extra time off for eating well...and then...running!

I like what is says in the second link article, that eating for diabetes is actually just eating healthy and everyone else should be taking note of what's on the diabetic plate.

Comments

fuzzbuzz said…
Thanks sis and I'm proud of you and I know Dad is too. I still pick up the free Diabetes recipe magazines from the drugstore I used to give to Dad, only now I will be using them myself.
The holiday will be strange without him but we are always abundant in his and each others love.
The Green Girl said…
It's so good to see you are out there training and honoring your father's memory. ::hugs::

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap