Sacramento International Triathlon

Inaugural Sacramento International Triathlon
Swim .93 miles (1.5k) – Bike 24.8 miles (40k) – Run 6.2 miles (10k)

This race was a lot of fun, especially since we made a weekend out of it with camping by the lake with friends. Who would have ever thought that an area surrounding a former nuclear power station would make a beautiful park full of birds and fish and triathletes.

Rancho Seco Recreational Area

I got there the day before the race to acclimate and run the course. It was hot! Which was great because my friends could pretend they were at Burning Man. The area is a wide open grasslands with sparse trees. I met Mark of TBF Racing and he told me where the trail was. The singletrack trail by the lake is fun to run on, preferably at dawn or dusk when it's cooler. The days were spent lazing in the sun, walking around in a daze and jumping in the lake often. The swimming part of the beach is small, shallow and crowded on weekends. Best to be there on the weekdays. The night is cool and you can sleep outside. I never heard so many birds chirping at 5am, thus, no need for an alarm clock.

The Tri:
Sacramento International Triathlon
Rise and Shine! Ate some granola and packed up my bag. Didn't have to stress because I was already there. Jake also did the tri and we were joking around in the transition area. Met the tri neighbors and then did a quick run through of the entries and exits.

Swim 31:14 - I don't like swim starts, the beginning is always hectic. I didn't feel crowded just can't catch my breath in the hurry. I should have warmed up a little more with some swim sprints. After settling into a proper pace was feeling better. Concentrated on long, strong strokes. Was a little off course but was redirected by kayakers (yay kayakers!) The water was warm. Drank 20 oz of fluid before.
Sacramento International Triathlon

Bike 1:28:07 - This was a great time on the bike - fast and flat! I was using gears I never touch in San Francisco lol! I stayed aero, avg 90 rpm and never had to brake, except at the end when coming into the bike finish with cars on the road. The scenery was farms and grasslands and the empty nuclear reactors on the way back. Had 40 oz of water with Nuun, and 3 Gu gels in the carb flask with a dash of salt.

Run: 58:43 - A baking hot run, but I was able to power through it. I was hydrated and brought some Accelerade with me. Was hard to get much faster than 9min/mi pace. Felt a little bit of remnants from pushing on the bike midway through the run, but it went away after some easy shuffling. I liked the course and whenever I saw the lake felt like jumping in it. It was cool to run into another Water World Swimmer that recognized me on the last mile. I downed another 40 oz of water & electrolytes. Had a strong finish! Total time was 2:58:04, under 3 hrs = a PR!

Time: 2:58:04


What a great day! Jake did really well. I wish I had his finish time. I could never catch up to him because he had a head start of being in a different wave. The race was well organized, affordable and great location. Would do it again. The nice thing is they had Olympic / Sprint / Duathlon over the whole weekend so the whole family can participate. The Super Sprint is perfect for newbies and kids, and it was fun to watch. It was father's day and some kids were doing the tri with their dads or watching their moms race. This will be a great memory for them to cherish forever. Next time we are going to dress up as nuclear reactors and jump up and down screaming with cowbells which will make it even more of a memory for them.

Masters Women Shine at Sacramento International Triathlon

Comments

fuzzbuzz said…
Wonderful weekend! And the photos are vibrant, you're a radioactive little runner! XOX
René said…
I think I got radiated by the sun a bit.
Julie said…
Great race!! You KILLED IT!
Great job! It really sounds like you do an awesome job with your nutrition. It took me almost 3 full seasons to figure it all out.
Fantastic race! Congrats!

The camping sounds like big fun too.
The Green Girl said…
Who would have ever thought that an area surrounding a former nuclear power station would make a beautiful park full of birds and fish and triathletes.

No kidding. Amazing.

Congratulations on another successful race, girl. You are such an inspiration to me.
Bisht Anoop said…
It was a wonderful weekend for me. I really enjoyed a lot in this international triathlon in sacramento.

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training