San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz



San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz
They said "It Can Be Done" and yes it was!

4:00:01
S: 53:25 B:1:41:45 R:1:07:49
T1: 13:53 T2: 3:09 Sand Ladder: 3:22

This was a really fun event, a San Francisco classic! It is a challenging course and can take a long time to prepare for the hills and open water, but well worth it. The experience will make you stronger!



San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz
Swim:
The 1.2 mile swim was great! The water was "warm", not that choppy, perfectly slack. It seemed a bit long, and at times I didn't feel like I was going anywhere. On Gary Emich's GPS it recorded the distance at 1.75 miles, hmmm. I think I would have liked a little more ebb. Aimed straight for the Palace of Fine Arts dome. Lots of kayak support. Tips: for the swim transition bag don't forget the body glide! I brought my electrolyte drink with me. Hydrate well day before race and right before. Breakfast was 2 granola bars and Yerba Mate Green Tea.

San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz
Bike:
This is a fun course because of the hills and scenery. It was foggy but didn't feel slick on the roads. In fact, A fog on race day is a bonus temperature-wise. Also wasn't that windy. I think I'm most improved on the bike. Was able to climb strong and embrace the downhills. Climbing back up Seal Rock Drive is pretty steep but short. Food: Accelerade in the tank and 2 Powerbars. I discovered a way to prepare my powerbars for the ride ready to eat so they don't stick together: Cut Powerbars into bite-sized pieces and dust them with cocoa powder. Throw into ziploc in your bento bag.

San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz
Run:
The run is mostly on trails and I felt fast on the flats. Running through the sand at Baker Beach was tough, as well as going back up the sand ladder. Pain is temporary. If I had known I was going to go over 4 hrs by a second I would have started sprinting to the finish sooner and not made a pit stop. The finish line was beautiful and lined with colorful flags. Food: Powerbar energy gels. I brought my own water, it's my safety blanket.



San Francisco Triathlon at Alcatraz
Overall the event was fun, all the hard work and training paid off. Got top ten in my little Age Division. Tri-Cal always has great volunteer support. I was also surprised at how much schwag I got: 2 bags, a bike bag, a race belt, bracelet and another swim cap for my collection! The post race food area had tables so you can socialize and have fun talking to other triathletes about the race. Easy access to computers to look up the results. Would love do this again!

ps. I had a great laugh to go back and read through the blog on all the alcatrazes I've done since the first one in 2009.

Comments

Congrats Rene!! Strong race and you had fun too! Win-win.
Jo Lynn said…
Great job girl. I'm so proud of you. Your hard work paid off! Now we can do the Coastal Trail together, right? ;)
fuzzbuzz said…
Hooray, so proud of you! :) Now go eat something that doesn't have the word "bar" attached to it. Nom nom nom!
naomi said…
I loved reading this! Congratulations, it sounds like you had a grand time!
The Green Girl said…
Congratulations on a strong performance, girl! ::hugs::

I love the powdered cocoa idea - thanks so much for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap