Alcatraz #6



October 2009. That was when I did my first Alcatraz swim with Water World Swim. It was a milestone for me because I was never a swimmer, and it was a whole transformation for me that changed my life forever, like running a marathon. The experience made me a stronger, more determined person, and brings a lot of joy and fun into my daily life. My other milestone with Alcatraz was to do the Triathlon, and see how much more I could do after the swim. Pushing myself a little farther, overcoming even more mental and physical hurdles. The sixth time was another milestone, doing a full crossing without the wetsuit 2 years later, and now I'm helping other people to accomplish their dream of swimming from Alcatraz. The funny thing is that the milestones never end, and each day swimming in the bay is different. I love it! I've met so many great people and been having a great time!



The swim itself was like swimming in a swimming pool. October is a great time to swim in the bay especially if you are a newbie. It was warm and humid outside, and the water was in the 60s. I jumped off the Codzilla and just tried to keep a steady pace going. My kayak pilot was very helpful as we were expecting the flood to kick in at any moment, so we aimed to Fort Mason, then to the Gashouse, then to the Towers, then to the Wedding Cake. Tracking Right to Left to be safe. My plan B was to swim around the wall if the current caught me, but the timing was just right and perfectly slack. It seemed like most people made it to shore in 35 minutes. It took me about 45 minutes. Didn't feel too cold once I got out. That was just what I needed! Thank you mother ocean!

Comments

Jo Lynn said…
Wow! You've come a long way with your swimming, haven't you. That's really cool. ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap