Juicing

Juicing


I'm on a one week juice fast to recharge and get ready for spring training. I was inspired by the film Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead by Joe Cross. Though I'm in a normal BMI range, I think I will be able to improve my pace by dropping a few extra pounds. It's been fun trying out different juice recipes with my new juicer. It's been easy also, no cravings or hunger pangs. All the raw nutrients going straight into my cells. I added a little hemp protein so I can keep running and working out. Coconut water is also good. Here are some of the recipes I've tried and my reviews.


Day 1: Mean green juice: 6 Kale Leaves, 1 Cucumber, 4 Celery Stalks, 2 Green Apples, 1/2 Lemon, 1 piece of ginger. Kale juice tastes better than I thought it would! This was easy to drink and I felt pretty energetic after drinking it. I find the ginger is hard to put through the juicer. The best way to extract the juice from ginger is to grate it then squeeze the juice out of it with your hand. This is a lot of work so I just brew it in herbal tea. 
        
PM: Apple Beet Carrot Juice: Sweet! Tastes just like candy!
Starting weight: 129 lb

Day 2:  Spinach, grapefruit, 2 carrots, 4 celery, ginger,  parsley, mint, cilantro
I didn't like this juice. I realized that I can only handle grapefruit juice in small quantities, so next time would use oranges instead. 
Day 2 weight: 127 lbs

Day 3:  Fruit blast: Half cantaloupe, 1/3 pineapple, 1/2 asian pear, mango, ginger,  parsley, mint, cilantro. This was good. I used it before and during climbing, along with coconut water. 
Day 3 weight: 125 lbs

















Day 4: 
Breakfast: Fruit blast juice with 3 T hemp protein
Snack: Coconut water
Lunch: 2 cups cabbage, 2 carrots, 3 celery, 2 apples, parsley, mint, cilantro. This was tasty. It filled a Sigg bottle. Maybe add more carrot. 
Dinner: Bruschetta Juice - 5 campari tomatoes, bunch of parsley and basil, 4 celery sticks, lime and garlic. This is delicious! I took the time to do a nutrition analysis in FitDay so I can see the the nutritional profile. I found some things that can bring it into balance, and I'm sure there are herbs that help also. Only 3 days to go, more updates later.


Vitamin D - mushrooms (can use dried and make a tea)
Vitamin B12 - nutritional yeast, spirulina, blue-green algae
Selenium - spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, garlic
Vitamin E - spinach, swiss chard
Calcium - broccoli, cabbage, spinach, kale
Niacin (B3) - tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, asparagus
Pantothenic Acid (B5) - starfruit, lemons, grapefruit, avocado, mushrooms
Phosphorus - broccoli, garlic, pumpkin leaves, watercress, zucchini
Thiamin (B1) - spirulina, watercress
Learning a lot about raw food. Was a little tired and cold in the evening.

Calories: 665
Fat: 10
Carbs: 144
Protein: 31.9
Day 4 weight: 123 lbs

Juicing

Day 5: Ran 5 miles 
Breakfast: head of romaine lettuce, with fruit blast, wheat grass, maca root and hemp protein 
Snacks: Medicinal herbal tea with chia, Coconut water 
Lunch: Mean green juice 
Dinner: Beet greens, celery, carrots, lime, cabbage, avocado, garlic

I pureed the avocado into the juice in the blender and it tastes amazing! Was a little tired this eve but tried to drink more water and did an hour sauna / massage and felt great. The secret is sweat out the toxins.
Calories: 946
Fat: 41
Carbs: 142
Protein: 33
Day 5 weight: 123 lbs





Juicing

Day 6: Ran 7 miles - LOTS OF ENERGY TODAY!!!












Breakfast: head of romaine lettuce, with fruit blast, wheat grass, maca root and hemp protein 
Snacks: Kiwi Lime Juice, Coconut water 
Lunch: Mean green juice 
Dinner: Guacamole Juice: Tomatoes, cilantro, parsley, lime, pasilla pepper, onion, garlic, cayenne, cumin. Avocado and spices is added in the blender after juicing everything up in the juicer.

This was definitely a high energy day, though having a hard time with the lack of body heat.
Calories: 1024
Fat: 35
Carbs: 178
Protein: 37
Day 6 weight: 121 lbs


Day 7: Ran 9 miles - Last day of juice fast
Breakfast: cabbage (red & green), with celery, parsley, cilantro, basil, fruit blast, ginger, maca root and hemp protein 
Snacks: watermelon juice, coconut water 
Lunch: spinach carrot juice
Dinner: spinach carrot kiwi juice
Before Bed: PB Shake (Psyllium and Bentonite)
Today felt normal, good energy. I read that it takes about 3 days for your body to get rid of it's energy stores, then by day 5 the real fast begins. So a 7 day fast is essentially a 3 day fast. That would explain the low on day 4. For me, 7 days is enough to get the effects of a fast. I feel like a sponge that has been squeezed out and refilled with good stuff!
I am so ready to eat (!) solid vegetables, fruits, healthy fats and lean proteins.
I'm using South Beach Diet Phase 2 as a guide, limiting the fruits and starchy grains and slowly adding them back in. I've tried it before and it is simple and easy to follow. I'm glad I took the time to focus on my nutrition. I feel like I just had a tune-up!
Calories: 946
Fat: 18
Carbs: 190
Protein: 39
Day 7 weight: 122 lbs


The macro-nutrient chart looks like the pre-season periodization plate for Metabolic Efficiency Training by Bob Seebohar. Though it is a good book that explains the concept, the practical info (recipes) is in another book. The important aspect of a healthy diet is that it is nutrient dense.

Day 8: Breaking the fast!
Breakfast: Apple, Blueberry Kefir
Lunch: 2 cups spinach salad with mushrooms, peppers, tofu and lemony dill dressing
Dinner: Miso soup with tofu, wakame and shiitake mushrooms
Snacks, watermelon, coconut water, mixed nuts



Calories: 1012
Fat: 42
Carbs: 129
Protein: 42

Day 8 weight : 119 lbs







Comments

fuzzbuzz said…
wow, you dropped so much weight in one week! thanks for the nutritional run down and stay healthy sis!

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap