Hempseed Horchata


Hempseed Horchata   In my search for a whole foods alternative to a carb drink I can take running with me, I finally looked to my latin roots and realized horchata has everything I need. I gave it a little extra protein boost with the hempseed.

I love hempseed and hemp protein and eat it everyday. Can we please legalize hemp so I can grow my own?


Hempseed Horchata

1 cup of rice* cooked with cinnamon stick
1/3 cup hempseeds
4 cups water
1 TBSP powdered cinnamon
1 ripe banana or your favorite sweetener

Blend rice and hempseeds with a little bit of water in food processor until creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Serve chilled or warm.


*If worried about rice because of arsenic, then you can use oats. It depends on where the rice is grown. I've heard that white rice in California has the lowest levels in the U.S. and rice from India and Thailand rice is also safer. White rice has less than brown rice. The water in the Horchata dilutes the serving of rice.

New improved recipe:

Horchata Shortcut
This recipe uses Mochiko sweet rice flour, which is really pulverized rice powder used to make mochi. I put 1/2 cup of it with 2 cups water and simmer for 5 minutes with cinnamon. Add honey or your sweetener of choice. In a food processor, grind 3 T hempseeds with 1 cup water until smooth. Mix these together and make a nice carb drink for running. For long runs, you may want to add a pinch of salt. A banana adds potassium, or you can add coconut water. You can add spirulina and make a green horchata!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training