My First 10 Marathons
For the last 5 years, I have been running 2 marathons a year. I thought it would be fun to take a trip down memory lane and look at my first 10 marathons:
1. 8/3/08 San Francisco Marathon - 4:44:17
2. 10/19/08 Nike Women's Marathon - 4:40:06
3. 11/8/09 Stinson Beach Marathon - 5:00:25. 3rd in AG
4. 12/6/09 Northface Endurance Challenge 50k - 7:42:18 (I know it's an ultra but I'm including it here)
5. 4/25/10 Big Sur International Marathon - 4:38:42
6. 7/25/10 San Francisco Marathon - 4:20:23
7. 11/5/11 Stinson Beach Marathon - 5:54:29
8. 12/4/11 Dallas White Rock Marathon - 4:09:43
9. 7/29/12 San Francisco Marathon - 3:58:40
10. 12/2/12 California International Marathon - 5:09:46
Things I learned:
- Respect Mother Nature
- Respect HILLS
- Hmm, I haven't done a full marathon on Mt. Diablo yet
- Don't wear brand new shoes on race day
- Trail races are different than road races
- F.I.R.S.T. Training plan seemed to work for me (Run less, run faster)
- High mileage may not be my thing
- I'm starting to notice a pattern with cramping legs, especially in cold or wet weather.
- My marathon pace I'm trying to run now might be too fast, but I have to imagine that pace in order to get to my "real pace" LOL!
- When a course is changed on a race you've done before, you have nothing to compare it to
- I seem to drop 20 minutes off my SFM PR every time I run it on even-numbered years.
- Since 2008, I improved about 22 seconds per mile faster each year
- Cross training such as cycling, swimming and strength training are great. No injuries here.
- You can listen to all the advice from other runners you want, but it doesn't compare to your own experience
- If raining, put everything in your gear check-in bag inside a waterproof plastic bag, unless the gear check bag is plastic
- Plan A, then Plan B, then Plan C, then...
- Some of the friendliest down to earth people I've met are runners
- I learn something new every time
I don't know what the next 5 years are going to bring, but I know it involves running!