Pt. Reyes Station Slacker Ride

Untitled
First long ride of 2013! I'm training last minute for next week's long ride to Point Reyes Lighthouse so I thought I would do the Populaire route or at least Pt. Reyes Station. The weather was great this weekend for cycling, up into the 60s! I got a late start because of doing prep I was supposed to do the night before. It was a little cold in the morning and windy on Golden Gate Bridge. I was wearing bike shorts, short sleeve jersey, under armour shirt, arm warmers, castelli thermoflex leg warmers and cycling cap. I stopped in Fairfax at the Coffee Roastery for bathroom break and espresso. By now it was very warm and sunny and I was sweating by mid-ride. The temperature dropped as soon as I hit Lagunitas, a cool breeze from the redwoods of Samuel P. Taylor State Park. There is a long stretch of road on Sir Francis Drake that has been repaved and it is a dream to ride through there now! I thought I died and went to bike heaven. I was just cruising through those redwoods.


Untitled I diverged from the route to make a water/restroom stop at the Camp Taylor Picnic Area. I ran into another SF Randonneur named Jesse who was doing the worker's ride. He continued along Sir Francis Drake Blvd., but I diverged from the route and did the beautiful Cross Marin Trail through the park. I like to stop and listen to how quiet it is here. At the end of the trail I took a wrong turn at the end of the bike path (was supposed to go left at the end instead of right). I was enjoying the route along the Nicasio Reservoir so much. This is how the ride is supposed to look LOL. I realized I had to turn back to Point Reyes-Petaluma Road to get to Point Reyes Station. This is another place for water, restrooms and food. The Bovine Bakery has lots of treats, but it is an "espresso free zone", only good strong coffee. You can fill up your water in the sink there. I still had water in the tank. I drank about 6 bottles for this ride. There is a restroom on the hill behind Toby's feed shack along Mesa Road.

Slacker RideI realized I only had a few hours left before it would get dark, so decided to head back. On the way back, to take a break from the car noise of Sir Francis Drake Blvd. is go the other way around the golf course on San Geronimo Valley Drive. By now I already had my jacket that I packed and lights on. It gets very dark on some of these roads, so I was pretty much navigating with my headlamp and could only see a few yards in front. This is when my speed slows down and why I should've headed out at crack of dawn. At around 60 miles everything was fine except my knees were very sore to the point of making the ride uncomfortable. My butt was pretty sore also and any opportunity to stand on the pedals was taken. I remember this feeling from last year. It made me doubt my ability to do next week's distance, but I will see how I feel. I may just skip the out and back to Marshall.

Pt. Reyes Station Slacker Ride by runrenerun at Garmin Connect - Details


Slacker Ride Food: This is an important aspect of my trip, as I had bonked on my ride last year. Bonking halfway through your ride sucks because it's hard  to recover then you have to ride all the way back. I made sure to pack some nutritious high carb food this time and eat it at the right intervals. I prepared a smoothie, and some rice cakes from The Feed Zone cookbook, and packed some fruit and trail mix. I made some of Allen Lim's rice cakes but instead of bacon I used smoked salmon and Furikake (no msg). I also made some of his brown rice muffins. Every 45 minutes I ate 4oz of this with some smoothie. Then when that was gone grazed on the fruit and nuts. It worked out perfectly and I had some trail mix leftover.

Slacker Ride I found the lightweight reusable Little Green Pouch to carry food in. This is Blueberry, Banana, Spinach, Yogurt smoothie and fits in 2 pouches:

1/2 c frozen organic blueberries
1 organic frozen banana, sliced
1 cup of organic spinach, raw
1/2 c greek yogurt

This was so good! It's a treat to have some good food when you are riding all day. I didn't bonk, was never hungry, and I burned 5000 calories and lost 1 1/2 pounds.



Slacker Ride
This is where all the food phits, in the Phinney. I also had enough room for a light jacket, a pump, headlamp and other items. Here is a list of other things I would bring: map, chapstick, chamois butt'r, kleenex, sunscreen, cash (some places are cash only) and credit card (in case of emergencies), backup battery charger for phone. For long rides I always bring a bike toolbag under the seat for repairs.

Can't wait to ride again next week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training