San Francisco Marathon - First Half

Untitled
Have you ever run a marathon and hit the 13.1 mark, watched the half-marathoners divert to their finish line and thought, hmmm? Well instead of saying hmmm, yesterday I did the first half of the SF Marathon! It was fun to run a more relaxed race and enjoy the scenery on such a beautiful day. I just ran by feeling and try not to overdo it. This was a hilly half, so prepare for the burn! It was clear, with a little wind on the Golden Gate Bridge and a nice cool fog in the park at the finish line. I finished in 2:05, with an extra 6 miles running to and from the race.
Untitled
I have been off "added sugars" for a week and was looking for the right fuel. I did the chia shot with coconut water, which was perfect pre-race, and during the race had the Vega Sustain endurance gel. I'm not a fan of the taste though. I found the best time to take it is right before the ascent to the Golden Gate Bridge and on the way off the bridge (Mile 5 and 9). For recovery, the Vega Recovery Accelerator. I did some 'tude Apple Juice also, which was amazing! I was extra concerned about recovery and not getting injured because I had made an appointment to donate blood platelets the next day. Lots of hydration really works! My legs feel good. Half-marathon #6 done for the Thirteen 13.1s in 2013 Challenge and #11 total!

The race was on Father's Day, and I spent the time thinking of my dad who passed away in 2010. If it were not for heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes I'm sure he'd still be with us. I remember when I heard the news about his death, I was on a long run on the Coastal Trail looking over the cliffs at the ocean. It was the perfect place to break down and cry. I couldn't run after that so I just walked all the way through Land's End, I wrote a message to him in the sand at Baker Beach, then dragged myself through Golden Gate Park and spent some quiet time in the Rose Garden. That's where the SFM finish line was. This reinforces my commitment to be healthy and encourage others to do the same. I think next year I would like to do the other half.

I'm transitioning down into flats and the past couple races have been running in Saucony Progrid Ride 5, which has a 8mm heel to toe drop. For shorter runs, I've been running barefoot on the beach and one milers in the New Balance Minimus 10v2, which has a 4mm heel to toe drop. My hamstrings are not tight at all anymore! I was running in Nike Air Pegasus, which I think is a 12mm drop. Though I did well at first running in these, later on I had really tight hamstrings. Also, I have been running all this time with a torn quad and didn't really know it. That happened on my last marathon running in the Airs. I think coming back down to earth is better for me. I feel it working different muscles, such as the adductors and that allows me to heal up the other overtrained muscles. Also it will be nice to switch to American made shoes for a change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training