1 Month Without Sugar!

In an effort to eat a more heart-healthy diet and clean from added, refined and processed sugars I tried cutting it out for 21 days. That turned into a month. I feel so great and have so much energy that I'm going to keep going! It's been really easy and I have been getting used to the natural sweetness of foods, no substitutes or stevia required. High Glycemic foods such as white rice, white flour and added sugars are out, fruit and high-fiber whole grains and slow carbs are in! Basically I just look at the labels and check the ingredients and grams. Anything that has sugar as an ingredient, especially in the first five ingredients, is out. I was shocked at how many supposed health-foods out there such as yogurt and granola bars have so much added sugar. There are lots of different names for sugar. I decided to save the high glycemic foods such as white rice and honey for endurance events when you need to burn a lot of quick energy or replenish. Other than that, I don't really need them in my diet on a daily basis, saved for special occasions. I have been experimenting with running without it though and have been noticing that I don't need it! I'm not hungry, not bonking or crashing, and feel like I can go on forever! Instead of gu, I just have some coconut water with chia seeds, dates and almonds or walnuts. I also found a whey protein powder that has no added sugar by Natural Factors. The recommended daily limit of sugar by the American Heart Association is 20 grams, or about 5 teaspoons. I love cooking and sweets and have been able to use nutritious fruit and applesauce to substitute and to satisfy my sweet tooth with no sugar crash. I keep some frozen grapes and bananas in the freezer for a quick snack. I knew I couldn't survive without chocolate, though, so I have come up with some delicious chocolate dessert recipes below. After just one week, I noticed my cholesterol level was already down by a few points! Please check out my pinterest board for more info.

Homemade healthy ice cream Choc-Co-Ban-Chia Ice Cream

 2 frozen bananas (or avocado if you prefer)
1/2 c coconut milk with 1 T chia seeds to make a pudding
4 T unsweetened cocoa powder

Blend and enjoy!





Chocolate Raspberry Date Coconut Manna  Hempseed Bark Chocolate Raspberry Date Coconut Manna  Hempseed Bark

4 oz unsweetened baker's chocolate melted in 1/4 c coconut oil
1 cup dried raspberries
10 dates
Nutiva Coconut Manna*
Hempseeds

Process the dates and raspberries in a food processor. Add the warm chocolate coconut oil mixture and blend until smooth. Pour into a flex tray and spread evenly. Drizzle with Coconut Manna and Hempseeds. You can "marble it" with a fork. Let cool then put in fridge. When solid, cut or break into pieces and store in fridge for a sweet treat.

*This stuff is amazing!


Little Green Pouch




Slacker Ride

Comments

Linda Hellcat said…
I noticed corn syrup is in a lot of foods too. This is way hard. I think i need to go cold turkey,im breaking out yikes
Linda Hellcat said…
Break outs are bodies way of eliminating toxins. Good sign. Just sux going through it.
René said…
It gets easier. You will notice a difference in your skin!
Darin Armstrong said…
From: Darin Armstrong #TeamLIVESTRONG

Hello Rene,
Just a quick email to ask if you would be interested in a ‘mutual’ following on twitter. (#FYI I do RT’s ‘ANYTIME’ for all #Triathletes #Cyclists #UltraRunners #Marathoners #FitnessProfessionals who follow me on Twitter and have something important they want mentioned for support…Over 41K folks at your access...) I am currently following you now and am awaiting your follow-back...

All the very best for the rest of 2013 & beyond Rene. Look forward to hearing from you…

(PS. Rene, should you follow back, I'll be mentioning you, 'including your website,' in my #FollowFriday #Shoutouts next Friday...)

Darin
twitter.com/DarinArmstrong
#TeamLIVESTRONG
René said…
I'm maxed out on people I can follow. Twitter sets a limit. I would have to unfollow several people to follow any more people.

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training