Tiburon by the Bay Half Marathon

Untitled I had a great time this weekend at the Inaugural Tiburon by the Bay Half Marathon! I was looking for races to add to my Thirteen 13.1s in 2013 Challenge on DM and saw a Groupon for this so had to try it. I took the special early morning ferry service they offered which made it very convenient and a chance to socialize with other runners before the race. Also, had to pick up my packet on race day because my registration was a bit snafu'd because of some glitch with the Groupon registration. I'm really glad I went to the expo to find this out so it could be fixed by race morning. The course is very scenic and the weather was really nice. It was chilly but once the sun came up and started running it heated up pretty quickly. There are some good hills around Strawberry which make it nice and challenging. I really felt it on the last couple of miles. I was a little worried at first because my run mileage lately has been at it's lowest due to the triathlon training, but it turned out fine because I finished in 2 hrs as I had hoped. Not a PR but best out of all the 13.1s I've done this year. I have built up a good aerobic base now and am ready to start 5k training. Not the usual 5k training, but the speedy 5k training for next February's KP 5k!

For a first race, I think they did a great job. The only thing I would improve on is:
  • Make sure the Groupon registrations are set up before expo day (What does "boutique style" mean?)
  • Widen the course, because you can't expect everyone to fit in the bike lane
  • A little more food at the end (some non-green bananas) or at least some coupons for local restaurants. There are some really great restaurants here for brunch.

The year is almost done, keep on running!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap