2/23/14

SFR Two Rock - Valley Ford 200k

This was a great ride organized by the SF Randonneurs that takes you up to Sonoma County through rolling pastures and along Tomales Bay. I was waiting to see if the weather was going to be nice to sign up, and it turned out to be an awesome day for riding! 162 cyclists on this one (159 finished). I felt alot stronger on this ride.



The temps ranged from high 40s to high 60s, so for clothing layers I had an under-armor t-shirt, jersey, arm warmers, bike shorts with leg warmers and hi-vis windbreaker. The morning is cool so I didn't start peeling layers off until Fairfax. I like to stop at Coffee Roastery there and get water and use their facilities. I didn't bring any honey stingers this time and instead just had a shot of honey in an espresso americano. Ready for miles of fresh air and countryside!



On the way to Petaluma, I stopped to help someone fix their flat. It was a pretty gnarly puncture, I wish I had taken a picture of it. It looked like a giant staple went through her tire, and we patched the tire up too. There seemed to be a lot of roadkill out there, rabbit and skunks and identifiable creatures. At one point I rolled over a spinal cord of something and gladly didn't puncture my tire.

I rode in the back and played tag with the tandems, but did run into lots of riders at the stops. Since I'm slow I usually don't expect to see anyone else. I tried not to spend too much time at the pit stops, just get water and go, and eat on the bike. This time I had brought some oatcakes, black bean and avocado burritos and roasted potatoes that I had made. At the control points I purchased water and wrote the time of arrival on the receipts as proof. Many of the timestamps on the receipts were off.

There was a nice headwind as we were coming from Petaluma into Valley Ford, so I tried to stay down in the drops. I didn't really get bored on the ride because the rolling terrain keeps you changing your position and workout.  Getting off the bike every 2 hrs also helps. The downhills were fun, I was clocking up to 30mph! I tried to hang out in harder gears this time and remember to keep doing little stretches and change it up. I felt like I had energy but once I got back to Fairfax, I was ready to take it easy for the rest of the ride. I noticed that once I hit 100 miles, I start feeling done. The time on the road seemed to pass pretty quickly, and it was very enjoyable. It's like dreamtime, with beautiful scenery scrolling past. It was so nice! I'm looking forward to more rides in the Spring. It would be fun to do a casual ride here and do a Cheese Tour.

125.7 miles
12 1/2 hours
SF to Petaluma = approx 4 hrs (to Fairfax 2 hrs)
Petaluma to Valley Ford = approx 2 hrs
Valley Ford to Point Reyes = approx 2 1/2 hrs
Point Reyes to Fairfax = approx 2 hrs
Fairfax to SF = approx 2 hrs

Food: 3 oatcakes, 2 baby burritos, 1 cup roasted potatoes (with salt), 1 cup of dates and trail mix, 9 bottles of water (including 2 caffe latte perpetuems, 1 heed, 1 bottle emergen-c)

Post ride soreness in the knees, arms, hands, and a bit of dehydration. The next day I tried to swim in the bay, but wasn't up for any cardio or strength workout. Had a hard time catching my breath. The cool water felt really great!
Did some biking around town doing errands.




1 comment:

Thomas T said...

Congratulations, that's one heck of a ride. The photos are incredible!