Cholesterol Drop

I dropped my total cholesterol in one month by 36 points with just a few things:
  • Total daily calorie reduction by at least 500 calories
  • Organic homemade soymilk based green smoothie 5 days a week
  • Went from 6 eggs to 3 per week
  • Tofu or okara wraps for lunch
  • Seafood dinners couple times a week (mmm, mussels!)
  • Aiming for a macronutrient ratio of 40/30/25 carb/protein/fat
Just these few swaps can help reduce those points. I wasn't actually trying to reduce my cholesterol, since it wasn't high and you actually need good fats in your body, but was wanting to lose a couple lbs for racing and before I start marathon training so I cut the calories and tried to boost the protein. I downloaded an eating free sample menu for guidance. This is the lowest my cholesterol has ever been, even when I was vegetarian. Bonus: I'm saving money! I cut back on the dairy because of water conservation* and I noticed it does create more mucus and was clogging up my throat during intense runs. Replaced it with organic soy because I am an organic soy/tofu/tempeh lover! Just one cup of organic soybeans provides me with a whole week of organic soymilk and okara lunches. I still enjoy 2 1/2 cups of Organic NF yogurt per week.  I use mostly olive oil, and sometimes coconut and red palm oil (Nutiva). I'm able to maintain a  good iron level with these dietary changes.

*Water Footprint of Various Foods

 Green Protein Smoothie
1 cup organic homemade soymilk (non gmo, no additives)
2 cups chopped kale, spinach or collard greens (whole leaves)
1 frozen banana
1 scoop of your favorite protein powder (I like Nutiva Chocolate Hempshake or Whey Factors)
1 T chia seeds, hemp seeds, ground flaxseeds or cacao nibs ( I like to rotate them every day)

Blend it all in your blender or bullet mixer until smooth. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap