See Jane Run 13.1

This weekend I ran the See Jane Run 13.1 as part of my buildup for the SF Marathon. I've been trying to extend my pace runs and this gave me the perfect motivation to pick up the pace. No PR, but I was not pushing it that hard this time. My goal was comfortably hard, with emphasis on the comfortable. The course is fast and flat, though there is the possibility of heat and wind. The course was scenic, with lots of views of the bay. Start at Washington Park and finish at Crown Memorial State Beach in Alameda.
I rode my bike to Transbay Terminal and caught the 6am AC Transit "O" bus to get there. Got off on Webster and biked to the end of the street and made a left to Washington Park. There is bike parking by the athletic field. They had a fun 80's theme pre-race warmup and DJ. The race took off in waves with pacers, which makes a lot of sense for traffic and safety. I wonder why more races don't do this. I seeded myself in the second wave, estimating my time to be 1:50. I ran ahead of the pace group and just tried to keep a consistent pace which I felt was 8:00 but after looking at the data noticed was a little faster. After the halfway point I felt myself slowing down and did some recovery miles. I made sure to stop at all the aid stations and drink water and electrolyte. It was hot and they had SOS on the course, which helped. I didn't consume any carbs at the halfway point but in retrospect think I should have. On the last mile, I finally saw my pacer Barbara from Lake Merritt Joggers and Striders. This gave me some relief that I could still finish under 2 hours after my slowdown. I finished in 1:49:31! Photos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training