SFR Lucas Valley Populaire

 SFR Lucas Valley Populaire
Near the top of the climb on Lucas Valley Road
Lucas Valley Populaire

I had never done this route before and I was really looking forward to it. The weather turned out perfect and it was definitely one of the best rides ever! I haven't done a long ride since Two Rock-Valley Ford so I'm glad I did a 40 mile ride the weekend before. It was fun to see Mike complete his first metric century distance. After riding by it, now I want to check out the Big Rock Ridge Trail.

This was my favorite section through China Camp:
SFR Lucas Valley Populaire
This is also on the Marin County Tri bike course, which I'm doing in a couple weeks! Lots of fun and scenic rollers. Not a lot of traffic here. We saw some deer foraging by the roadside.

I had never done Lucas Valley Road before. It was very pleasant riding through the shade. It just takes a little nerve to ride on the narrow shoulder with traffic buzzing by you. There are a lot of pullouts though. There was an instance where a car was going around us and speeding past us in the next lane and almost hit a car head on because it was on the crest of a blind hill. Perfectly bad timing. Watch out for blind hills and blind curves.

At Rancho Nicasio we finally saw some of the other riders and got some ice cold juice. The ride back down I was pretty familiar with and we were able to make it back by 2:41pm (6hrs 41 min) before the cutoff time and enjoy a nice picnic.

Fuel-wise, I think I did good. I had two bottles of water, 2 oatcakes, and some Clif Shot Blocks to first control at China Camp (refilled H2O there). To the second control at Nicasio I had a Hammer Perpetuem bottle and an onigiri rice cake. I made it with smoked salmon instead of bacon, and wrapped in edible nori instead of parchment. I have a press that shapes the rice into triangles. On the way back I had a juice, another Perpetuem bottle and 2 more rice cakes. In Fairfax we refilled our water and made the push back to Crissy Field. I had made and brought too much food, so I dropped some with the volunteers. I wanted to give it away to other randonneurs but everyone is so prepared! I'm glad I brought the carb drink because it was hot and didn't feel like eating, but I knew if I didn't consume calories I would be in trouble. Thanks to the volunteers, the picnic spread was awesome! They had chili, cornbread, lentil salad, fruit, loads of assorted beverages and desserts (brownies!). Most of the brevets are unsupported, but the Populaire is sort of a fun introductory distance and is a bit more social. They had two different rides going on today. The other was the El Paseito Mixto.

I look forward to more fall riding. I'm busy with swim events in the spring and summer so fall and winter is my ride time.



 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap