2014 Recap



Distance / Miles:
Run: 800
Swim: 100 (2014 goal accomplished!)
Bike: 773 + Bike Commute: 2600 = 3,380
Total: 4,280 (a few more miles than last year!)
Races and Events:


Running: My year is pretty much planned around running, biking and swimming. It's what I enjoy doing - that's when I feel really alive! It's also a social outlet with all the different training groups out there. I love being outside. Though I didn't hit any PRs (except nailing the 10k run after the tri) I placed pretty well and am happy about this. I feel as if I'm making progress, and that's a good feeling.  

Swimming:
We had another fun year at Water World Swim. The bay has been warmer this year perhaps because of the drought. This meant more people swimming! It's very rewarding to see swimmers of all ages become comfortable in the open water, do their first Alcatraz or longer swim, train for triathlons, grow and achieve their goals! Here's a slideshow of our year in pictures:

Cycling:
This year I did what I've been wanting to do for a long time, which is to go bike camping. I did 3 trips to Samuel P. Taylor, Half Moon Bay and China Camp. I had fun doing a couple of long rides with my bf, and he did his first metric century! One of the fun things we are getting into is checking out the different bike routes and trails that are accessible from the BART train. We did 3 Bears from Orinda, Coyote Hills which is accessible from Fremont, and the Iron Horse Trail - Contra Costa Canal Trail which is accessible from several BART stations. SF Rails to Trails >>

Volunteering:
I helped out with SFBC Bike to Work Day as always, and distributed posters for bike events. I did a few hours of Ocean Beach Cleanup and got grossed out by all the plastic trash and cigarette butts. I'm glad I have my health and that I could donate plasma and platelets 9x this year for those that need it. For my last two events, I raised some funds for Sustainable Sports Foundation and Make-A-Wish Foundation. 

Athletic Goals for 2014:
Sometimes transitioning from one year to the next is difficult. It reminds me of time passing by too quickly. It helps to set some goals for next year so I can focus on positive forward motion and stay active. I gave my self some time to think about this so that it is realistic. I try not to adhere strictly to mileage goals but rather use it as a motivator.
  • Run 1000 miles
  • 5k PR
  • Swim 100 miles
  • A 50k or 50 miler or BOTH!
  • Help someone else achieve their goals 

Other things I would like to do in 2015 :
Bike the Cheese Trail, Big Rock Ridge Trail, Angel Island Bike Camping

What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals. 
- Henry David Thoreau

Thankful to be alive, healthy and making it to another year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training