One Hour ePostal Swim

The USMS Speedo 1-Hour ePostal National Championship is an online event to see how far USMS members can swim for 1 hour in the pool. I did this last year and got hooked. It's a great benchmark for improvement. I had been swimming through the holidays in order to complete my 100 mile goal in Go The Distance and did a good streak of 9 days in a row and swam 14.5 miles last month. This helped a lot as I was able to improve my distance by 375 meters! I have also been using the Finis Agility Paddles to help strengthen my arms and correct form. The fact that it happens at the beginning of the year can also give you a nice snapshot of where you're at and where you want to improve.

Last year: 2575 m
This year: 2950 m
_______________
                   375 m improvement!

I did not race this but rather tried to keep a sustainable pace that I would use in a long distance. Also, I didn't swim for a week before the event to let my arms rest from training. Using my trusty Timex Ironman Triathlon watch, I recorded my splits in cumulative 500m sets, then as I got close to the end, in 100s, 50s, and 25s. Being a running focused triathlete that bikes a lot, I'm not a full time swimmer. But now I'm convinced that swimming 2,000 and 3,000 meters a day like full time swimmers can totally help improve your swimming. I had done some speedwork in my tri-training last year. So even if I can't devote every day to swimming, I can carve out a week here and there between races to get some quality training in and then use an annual mileage go to stay consistent throughout the year with at least 3 miles per week. Next, I will try the Jon Steiner Memorial Mile swim for lung cancer research by Tamalpais Aquatic Masters, and see if I can go a bit faster.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training