Cholesterol Results from HFLC

Keto Lettuce Cups
I was very pleased with my recent cholesterol results and had to share. At first I was afraid to leave the safety blanket of high carb eating because I was worried that I would just fade from low energy and my cholesterol would be wrecked. Well, the cholesterol wasn't wrecked and in fact I improved on some important points. I took the test about 2 months into the HFLC diet with a Home Access test kit and plugged the results into this calculator.

2015 Cholesterol:

-Total Cholesterol of 181 DESIRABLE
-LDL of 95  OPTIMAL
-HDL of 78 is OPTIMAL
-Triglyceride level of 43  NORMAL

Ratios:

-Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.32 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
-
LDL/HDL ratio is: 1.218 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 2.0) IDEAL
-Triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.513 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

What happened is my HDL (good cholesterol) went up 21 points from normal to optimal, and the triglycerides went down 30 points! LDL is still in the optimal range, so no worries there. Ideal ratios all around!

Here are my cholesterol numbers from 2 years ago to compare. I think my diet from 2 years ago was fine for an active person. I had been working on adding good fats to my diet. It was just recently that I started to gain weight even though I was exercising alot so I thought of reducing the carbs and that worked. I think over time my body got used to burning carbs and became more sensitive to them. When you reduce carbs, adding in the good fat helps with energy and satiety.

2013 Cholesterol

-Total Cholesterol: 150  DESIRABLE
-LDL of 79  OPTIMAL
-HDL of 57  NORMAL
-Triglyceride level of 70  NORMAL

Ratios:

-Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.63 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL
-
LDL/HDL ratio is: 1.386 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 2.0) IDEAL
-Triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.228 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

Typical day of eating for this was: 

  • Post-run fruit smoothie with milk, yogurt & honey

  • Spinach salad with eggs, barley and chickpeas

  • Salmon pasta with cheese and veggies

  • Snacks: Oatcake with apple and peanut butter, almonds

I wasn't logging my food every day but would do a monthly spot-check on fitday. I was in a nice long plateau, but now things are happening I'm  logging and monitoring and will keep sharing what works.

I donated blood and platelets this month and I noticed it was a little easier than before. I didn't experience that extreme drop in blood sugar and felt fine. I just have to make sure as always that I'm getting enough iron because I deplete it with all the exercise. My fasting blood glucose is in the mid 70s.

I'm really happy about this and it keeps me motivated to continue on the path!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training