Hunger Challenge Update

I'm in the middle of the SF Marin Food Bank Hunger Challenge and feeling better about it than the first few days. It is kind of a shock at first to slash your caloric intake by almost half and ration and measure smaller portions of food. I didn't know if I would be able to keep my exercise schedule up but so far so good. I even did HIIT yesterday.


Let's check-in to see how the nutrition profile looks:

S-Health

1600 calories?! I don't think that is enough for me. I was hungry on the first 2 days but by Wednesday I was starting to get used to it. I found out that I had a little more chicken I could add to my lunch and I can double up on my chicken broth for the rest of the week! Also, I delayed eating my lunch that extra hour or two so I could get through the afternoon. I guess I should have looked at my inventory little more closely. I was so worried that I wouldn't have enough that I skimped out on the first few days. I also added a slice of melon as an afternoon snack, so that gives me a whopping 23 calories and vitamins A & C. For 5 days I don't feel the need to fill up on rice, beans and potatoes but after several weeks it might be different story. When we were little, sometimes that is all we had when our parents were between paychecks. The problem with the carbs or anything with sugars is it just makes me crave more carbs and I will get more hungry. Filling up on high fiber nutrient-dense vegetables is better. My iron levels are already borderline and this is not cutting it. I like my macros, though. I could use more fats. An avocado and some cheese would be good, or bacon. I'm missing my coconut oil and hemp oil and omega 3s. I also miss my giant green salads. I guess I would have to grow my own if I could. I could also make my own yogurt for a lot less.

FitDay

I did find some recipes I could make with my ingredients, but I'm missing out on all the spices and herbs. If I had ginger, I would make steamed cabbage and chicken-stuffed cabbage rolls with grated carrot and peanut (peanut butter) sauce. Roasted cabbage steaks slathered in garlic sauce sound pretty good. How about a crunchy cole slaw with yogurt as the dressing? I found a recipe for Slow Cooker Cabbage "Pasta" in the Ketogenic Cookbook I could make also. Good thing I like cabbage! Another book I found helpful for this week was Wildly Affordable Organic Eat Fabulous Food, Get Healthy ad Save the Planet, all on $5 or less.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training