Countdown to Marin Tri - Swimming with Sharks

 Three weeks of real training left until Marin Tri! Here's a quick recap of what I did last week:

-->
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
RESTRESTHIIT / PLYO, swimSWIMAthletic Conditioning 1 hr swimEZ Kayak

On Saturday we had a nice long swim along shore. It was too foggy to do Island to Island. We had great help with the incoming flood tide. Later on there was a shark sighting around Alcatraz, so it all worked out! Welcome to Sharktober!





The water has been clearer lately, probably due to lack of rain and runoff. This might be encouraging the sharks to explore our waters. It is a fact of open water swimming that you're swimming with wildlife, and at a certain point you just have to make the decision if you are going to let that interfere with your swimming habits. The only wildlife I usually ever see are the birds. The rest usually keep their distance from humans. The best thing is to go with a group or with a friend, and have a plan. I feel safe with my group, as we have experienced boat support. I also know that I am not the prey sharks are looking for, and the chances of encounters are rare. You just have to keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings. To tell you the truth I'm more worried about getting hit by a car on my bike commute.

Still paying close attention to my diet. I'm experimenting with post-workout nutrition to see what works the best. Last week I did broccoli or chard and cheese omelettes with avocado, saving the carbiest foods for at night. Energy levels are great and I was finishing my strength workouts strong. No weight gain, but I'm fine with gaining muscle so I make sure to get enough calories to fuel the workout and will up the good carbs a bit. Whatever I do, I will monitor it and see how it affects things. This week I will try protein shakes with half a banana, spinach and hempmilk post-workout. I like supplementing with hemp because it is high in protein, iron, magnesium and zinc. Hemp oil is also good for Omega-3s.

It's pumpkin season, so here is a Japanese Pumpkin / Kabocha Squash Muffin recipe.

2 cups Kabocha Squash puree
2 eggs
1/4 c. hemp protein powder or your favorite protein powder
1/4 c coconut flour or preference
2 tsp pumpkin spice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
Sweetened to taste with whatever you like to use (I use liquid stevia)


Put all in food processor, wet ingredients then dry. Blend and pour into non-stick muffin pan and bake for 30 minutes. Great as a dinner muffin or top with cream cheese frosting for dessert! Here are the macros if made sugar free:

Calories: 74
Protein: 7g
Carbs (net): 4g
Fat: 3g

Health Benefits of Winter Squash

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training