Miracle Mile

The 5k Runners
Last weekend I mustered enough motivation to do the UCSF Diabetes Center Miracle Mile & 5k Holiday Classic in Golden Gate Park. One mile events are rare, and I never actually did one, so I thought it would be fun to see what my time was. The rain had subsided enough for us to run on dry pavement on a nice downhill course. It was a small race with nice volunteers, and they had race officials calling out your splits every quarter mile. Of course my Garmin froze on me so this was helpful. I think I went out too fast but then found my pace. The shorter races are a little more taxing but it was over quickly and I finished in 6:27. I can use this as a baseline for my speedwork. Though it wasn't a PR, I had not been doing any speedwork, so that is a good number. I ran a 6:10 in my 5k last March, and my goal is 6:00 minute miles. I stayed at the finish line and cheered the kids that were finishing their race, probably for the first time with their families. So cute! The winner of the women's race was a cute 12 year old. The overall winner was a guy who ran 5:08, then he went on to get second in the 5k. They both had the same last name so they must be from the same fast family! To do the 5k, the runners ran back to the start line. I did not do the 5k because I ran to the event and had to run back. Right now my mileage is low and have been focusing on short intense efforts and strength training. The holidays and end of the year can be stressful but then I think about what others that have life-threatening illnesses have to deal with. It's time to count our blessings & be of service, take care of ourselves so we can take care of others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

November Recap

Spring Training