Oakland Half-Marathon 2017

This is my 6th year participating in The Oakland Running Festival and the event seems to be getting bigger and better every year! The new venue at East Shore Park was definitely an upgrade.

RECAP:
I took public transportation to Oakland and rode my bike to East Shore Park. Luckily I found parking parked in front of the Pergola. There I met up with other BoMF runners Danielle and Brittney. They were on the fast track to finish under 2 hours but my goal was to be conservative and save it for the end. My last half marathon wasn't so great and I was walking a lot at the end so I wanted to run smarter this time. Still getting over a little hip pain. We did a build this week at BoMF morning runs, gradually increasing the distance of each run. So I peaked out this week with 31 miles, which is my max this year so far!

I stuck with traditional fueling, having a high carb meal before the race and packed gu and electrolytes. It was such a beautiful warm spring day, which means scorching hot when running in the sun. Before the run, I had some pre-game Endurolytes Extreme and Endurance Aminos. I felt pretty steady throughout the race. I brought my hydration belt with me and had refilled it twice, adding in the S.O.S. electrolytes. The course seemed to go by quickly, because of all the turns and variety. I was going at selfie-pace and took lots of photos!

The first mile

Our pacer

Taiko drummers!

The Crucible

Brown Sugar Kitchen!


Post-race Celebration

BoMF Girls at the finish - Planking?!

The post-race celebration was perfect - Tons of food options, space to chill out and meet up with your friends, great music, and really good DJs all along the course. Volunteers did a great job and there was cheering all along the course. The packet pickup was very well organized and I didn't have to wait at all. I love the diversity in Oakland. But they also have many homeless tent encampments that we ran past. I see them every day in the San Francisco and Oakland on my bike commute to work. That is why I run for a cause this year - Back on My Feet. I've been running with them since the end of last year and it's been keeping me consistent and focused. What a great volunteer opportunity for health of our community. We just launched Team SOMA and are exploring routes in that area. We also have team Geary and Team Tenderloin. Feel free to join us!

ORF History:
2012: 21:47 5k
2013: Half-Marathon 2:04:00
2014: 21:17 5k
2015: We Run The Town Challenge 2:34:46 (21:08 5k)
2016: 21:57 5k
2017: Half-Marathon 2:10:00 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chico Wildflower Century

Spring Training

November Recap